SANTA ANNA is a charming little town in the heart of Texas.
Visitors and residents alike enjoy a plethora of SHOPPING and DINING options. You'll love our ANTIQUE, CUSTOM FURNITURE and GIFT STORES, all with treasures just waiting to be discovered.
There is also LODGING for those looking to stay a while, or CAMPING for those who prefer to drift off to sleep under a starry Texas sky.
Santa Anna is located in Coleman County which is frequently referred to as the "Hunting Capital of Texas." Facilities such as M-Bar-H Lodge and Santa Anna Hunting Area are just two reasons HUNTING AND FISHING aficionados flock to this area.
For HISTORY and CULTURE buffs, Santa Anna and the surrounding areas are dotted with landmarks vital to early Texas history.
History of Santa Anna (or "Santanna")
Texas Rangers camped at the foot of the mountain long before the area was otherwise settled. A military road was established which ran through the gap of the mountain and supplied outpost forts along the Texas Forts Trail.
Enterprising businessmen established trading posts at "The Gap" in the early 1870s, and shortly afterwards permanent settlers arrived and built homes near a fresh water spring at the foot of the mountain. In 1879 a petition to open a post office was filed, and the name of Santa Anna was chosen.
During the construction of the Santa Fe Railroad, a group of residents bought land along the right-of-way. Buildings were built from limestone quarried from the cap rock of the west mountain. Several businesses moved from Trickham and Brownwood to be a part of the new community. In 1886 The Santa Anna News was established.
The first telephone in the county was in the Melton Hotel in Santa Anna, on a private line from Brownwood to Coleman. A small local exchange was opened in 1892.
A drugstore and a bank were opened in the 1880s, along with a one-room school which quickly expanded to four rooms to keep u p with the growing town.
Soon the open range surrounding the town was preempted and sold and the land cultivated. Cotton became the principal industry and before long Santa Anna had four cotton gins in operation!
During this era, the town also become major rail shipping point for livestock, and grew into a trade center with a thriving business district that included drugstores, hotels, banks, livery stables, and produce houses. One of the early buildings, still a landmark downtown, housed an opera house where traveling groups and local performers provided entertainment and culture.
After World War I, Dr. T. R. Sealy established a widely-repected hospital. A nursing school was founded there in the 1920s and continued until the death of Dr. Sealy in the mid 1930s.
During the first half of the 20th century Santa Anna thrived as a small farming and ranching community and later found livelihood within the oil industry.
Modern day Santa Anna is home to a variety of restaurants and shops, historical draws and is in the heart of the Texas hunting and fishing industry.
For more on Santa Anna's history, check out the S.A. Historical Development Organization.