The twin mesas in present-day Coleman County have been a landmark for centuries. An 1849 map of Texas shows the mesas near the center of the state with the notation of "Santa Anna’s Peaks".
The Comanches used the Santa Anna peaks as signal points. Texas Rangers camped here long before the area was settled. Early surveyors, travelers, explorers and settlers used the peaks as guide points. During the 1870’s, thousands of longhorn cattle were herded up the Great Western Cattle Trail that passed through the gap and between the peaks.